SANTA ANITA PARK AND GOLDEN GATE FIELDS COVID-19 PROTOCOLS
ARCADIA, Calif. (March 19, 2020)–At Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields, the health, safety and welfare of every person and every horse in our community is our top priority.
We are in full compliance with all government and local health orders and are taking every possible precaution and safeguard to ensure the health and safety of the limited number of essential racing personnel required to operate racing without fans.
The horse racing industry is unique in several respects and now, perhaps more than ever in these difficult times, we must be mindful of our responsibility to prioritize the safety and well-being of the horses and those who care for them.
We have the ability to limit exposure per health and governmental regulations while continuing to support our industry.
The following protocols are in force at Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields.
Controlled Access and Documentation:
- Following recommended guidelines by health and government authorities, limited gatherings will be enforced in compliance with current recommendations for social distancing.
- These specific areas include the Receiving Barn, Saddling Barn, Jockeys’ Room, Grandstand, Track Kitchen, Morning Clocker Stands.
- Security personnel at Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields will log personnel allowed in those areas by name, date and time.
- Santa Anita, Golden Gate Fields and San Luis Rey Training Center are closed to new out-of-state personnel.
- No new personnel are allowed to accompany a horse onto TSG property from out-of-state, including jockeys, trainers, exercise riders and grooms.
- Horses must ship in to a trainer who currently has a barn at one of the three locations.
- Anyone travelling internationally, including owners, trainers, jockeys, grooms and exercise riders, must undergo mandatory 14-day quarantine and pass a physical examination prior to being allowed onto the grounds.
Restricted Access to the Grandstand/Saddling Paddock:
- Only CHRB licensed trainers and essential personnel who have horses running that day are allowed on the track in the afternoon.
- Essential personnel include racing officials as designated by the CHRB, safety staff (ambulance drivers, track maintenance crew) and specialized janitorial staff to sanitize the facility.
- To limit outside exposure, no owners, media or fans will be allowed on the track.
- No guests, no exceptions.
- Walking ring is closed to everyone other than personnel required to accompany each horse to and from the saddling barn or racetrack. Jockeys will get on their horses in the saddling barn, not the paddock, and proceed directly to the racetrack for the post parade and warm up.
- All starting gates will be disinfected between every race and all gate crew will be required to wear gloves and will have no physical contact between them.
- All non-essential personnel will not be permitted on grounds.
- Non-essential personnel to be prohibited includes all public service employees (e.g., food service, wagering tellers, ushers, admission staff).
- No wagering or food service available in the grandstand.
- Press Box will be closed to all but the official chart caller.
Restricted Access to the Jockeys’ Room and Jockeys’ Room Protocol:
- Only jockeys scheduled to ride in races will be allowed in the Jockeys’ Room.
- All jockeys and essential personnel only in the Jockeys’ Room (including Valets and Clerk of the Scales) will have their temperatures tested daily. Anyone showing any signs of illness will be denied access to the premises.
- Jockeys’ Room lockers will be spaced a minimum of the required six feet apart.
- All jockeys will be required to wear riding gloves at all times.
- Jockeys are prohibited from any physical contact between themselves and others.
- Travel for jockeys will be restricted.
Restricted Access to Stables and Morning Training:
- Only trainers with horses stabled at Santa Anita Park and Golden Gate Fields and essential CHRB licensed personnel responsible for the care of the horses (veterinarians, grooms, exercise riders, farriers) are allowed in the stable area.
- All personnel will be required to sign in and out each time they enter and exit the stable area.
- Stable cafeteria will remain open to serve essential personnel only.
- Users will be encouraged to carry out their food.
- The Recreational Hall and associated gym facilities in the stable area are closed.
- All public areas of the grandstand will be closed for morning workouts, including all private clockers.